Hometown Sichuan Food  

Posted by Jeff Watkins in ,

The best Kung Pao Chicken in the world (or at least that I found) was served in a little cafe off a side street in Beijing. It was sweet and spicy, filled with a perfect blend of ginger, dried peppers, sichuan peppercorns, garlic and ginger, and good fresh chicken. The restaurant was near the dorm of the language school I studied at, just of the third ring road, next door to the 21st century hotel. I need to dig through my photos to see if I have a picture of that lovely wonderful dish.

Jeff came and visited me when I studied, and he recalls the same. My roommates Mark&Ingela and I ate there at least 2 times a week, along with a varied group of friends. Was it the fact we were all foreigners in a foreign land, or was it simply very good food.




Well, we have tried plenty of other places and our stops in Taiwan were usually quite good, but none came close. Singapore, forget about it. NO good kungpao. At least until we tried Hometown.

The chicken was moist, the peppers plentiful but not overpowering, a good mix of peanuts, garlic and ginger. And good Sichuan peppercorns. Still not as good as that little place in Beijing, but good nonetheless.





Hometown Sichuan Food, Smith Street, Singapore. Lunch on March 21,2009
(posted by Kristy under Jeff's name!)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Contributors

Followers

Recent Posts

Archives